Sunday, October 3, 2010

Great to be back!

Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world. ~Scott Cameron

It’s safe to say, of all the fellows, I’ve travelled the furthest – Bangkok to Naritha (Japan) to Chicago and finally to Boston. It’s allowed me more Time to reflect, begin to absorb a saturated-educational experience and wonder how I’m going to apply this in the next step of my career. What will NOW be my purpose with this acquired knowledge in the field of education? Actually, I do know but will wait for you to ask me, plus ... I don't want to write a novel! :o)

Just a few interesting incidents, worthy of note, that I experienced during my "reentry" and the first few days that followed . First, the feeling of American money was bizarre - its texture, similar sized denominations and color! As soon as I landed in Chicago my eyes became visually stimulated by all of the people. My brain was on overload looking at tall people, short people, slim people, big people, people from different ethnic backgrounds. WoW! I had forgotten what that was like!!! Then, I landed in Logan and immediately saw someone intently watching football! Ah yes, I came back to football season! Gosh, I DIDN'T miss that!!! (My apology to all you sports fans). A week or so later, I went to Home Depot to get a housewarming tree for my friend's new condo and caught myself beginning to wai to the saleswoman who was ever so explicit and kind in explaining how much to water it, how to prune it, when to feed it, where to place it, etc.

Yes, being home is "fantabulous" to quote Lisa! As I pulled up to my apartment there was a sign to welcome me home. I had a hint as to who it might be by the flowers, hearts and smiley faces on it, not to mention the fact that it said Rosa and not Rosamaria (only people from my childhood call me Rosa). I thought it was Mrs. Pieper, but my 90% hunch was confirmed when I got to the door to my apartment and found yet another sign - "Welcome Home Rosetta!" Now ONLY Mrs. Pieper calls me that!!! THANKS for welcoming me back, Mrs. Pieper!! It meant more than words can say. I later found out that Barbara, my second floor neighhor, made the sign for me!!! How nice it was to have such a creative, personal touch added to me coming home!! Thanks for taking the "time!"

My first breakfast with oatmeal and cinnamon tasted AS GOOD as ice cream!! I could not stop uttering prolonged sounds of pleasure - MMMmmmmmmm .... I had ice cream for lunch AND dinner that same day, then again for dinner a couple of times after that! Cranberry Bog from Somerset Creamery never tasted so good! MMMmmmmmmmmm!!

Lindsay amused me by taking me to Horseneck Beach as the ocean was calling my name! Together, we listened to the sound of the waves, smelled the ocean air, felt the warmth of the fall sun, looked for shells and rocks!!! Thanks for being such a wonderful friend as I know how you live at the beach all summer long! It was a great way to spend my "welcome home weekend!"

Since my reentry, everything has been wonderful with the exception of my stomach rumbling away; it's still not right! After being sick almost every other week and getting food poisoning in Phenom Phen, I'm fairly sure that I will be needing some sort of parasitic-herbal cleanse from my friend Carl! Bring it on!!!

I also went to my friend Nicole's wedding shower and to one of my former student's 21st birthday party!! Congratulations to all!! I loved Taylor's tiara; someone clearly taught her well! ;o) It was awesome to see both Amanda, who now goes to Salem State and Taylor who was returning back to Afghanistan so beautiful, mature and progressing forward! To think they're about half my age!!! I wore one of the Indian outfits Aarti gave me, which my students loved - at least they told me so ...


I've also been out with my brothers, which has been great!!!

I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to return to the good ole' U.S.A.!!!! It's great to be back!!